Sanford Luverne Medical Center's Surgery Department is dedicated to your safety, privacy, and comfort. Surgical services are available 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week.
Our general surgeon, specialty physicians, and experienced surgical staff are qualified and capable of performing many surgeries right here in Luverne.
General surgeon,Norma Walks, MD, joined the Sanford Luverne team of health care providers in August, 2011. Dr. Walks was born and raised in western South Dakota. She received her medical degree from the University of Minnesota Medical School and completed her residency at the University of Arizona College of Medicine.
- Her scope of practice includes:
- Emergency and general surgery
- Endoscopic procedures, including colonoscopy
- Upper scopes to diagnose and treat swallowing disorders, acid reflux, gluten allergies and more
- Breast health surgery, including biopsy and care of breast disease and coordination with Sanford’s Breast Health Team
- Cancer surgery, including skin, breast and gastrointestinal
- Cesarean sections
- Laparoscopic surgery, including appendix, bowel, gallbladder and hernia
- Other surgical services, including thyroid procedures and port placements
Family medicine physician Joshua Crabtree, MD, is also trained and experienced in performing Cesarean sections and various screening and diagnostic scope procedures, including colonoscopies.
Sanford Luverne’s surgical staff includes six registered nurses certified in advanced cardiac life support (ACLS), two scrub nurses, and three certified surgical technicians. This team has a combined 155 years of surgical experience.
Many surgical procedures are done on a same-day (outpatient) basis with no hospital stay required. A member of Sanford Luverne's caring surgery staff stays with each patient throughout their experience to ensure a smooth transition from admission to discharge. They work closely with your family physician, surgeon, and specialty outreach physicians to offer a variety of procedures close to home.
Anesthesia plays a major role in surgery and pain management. Sanford Luverne’s Anesthesia Services are provided primarily by Dave Knips, certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA), who has been part of the Sanford Luverne surgical team since 1982. Dave provides anesthesia care during surgery, post-surgical pain management, epidurals during labor and delivery, and epidural steroid injections for chronic back pain.
Specialty physicians also perform a variety of surgeries at Sanford Luverne:
- Orthopedic specialists: carpal tunnel, bunion, arthroscopic (knee), and other orthopedic procedures
- Obstetrics and gynecology specialists: hysterectomies and other gynecological procedures
- Ear, nose, and throat specialist: Eustachian (ear) tube insertions, tonsil and adenoids removal, and more
- Ophthalmologist: Cataract removal
- Urologist: bladder, kidney and urinary procedures
If you or someone you know is facing surgery, ask your physician if the procedure can be done in Luverne.
For more information, call (507) 283-2321, or contact your family physician.