Speech therapy is available to patients who may have a variety of neurological and structural impairments. These may include stroke, head injury, cerebral anoxia, and other forms of damage to the brain. Neurological disorders, such as dementia or Parkinson's Disease, and head/neck cancer can also result in swallowing and/or communication disorders.
Speech and language pathologists provide the following specialized professional services:
- Education to family and caregivers.
- Assessment of speech, language, voice, and swallowing skills.
- Speech, language, and cognitive therapy.
- Swallowing therapy, including vital stim
- Modified Barium Swallow studies.
- Provision of alternative communication devices and strategies.
- Video swallows.
Our Rehabilitation Services Department prides itself in providing the highest level of care and an expedient path to recovery for its patients.
Rehabilitation Services are available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and Saturdays for inpatients. To schedule an appointment, please call SHL at (507) 283-2321, or the department directly at (507) 449-1229.